Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I want to respond correctly to a motion for summary

Customer Question
judgment. The rules state that...
I want to respond correctly to a motion for summary judgment. The rules state that I must indicate in my response which statements I disagree with and give the basis for the disagreement. Many of my opponents "facts" are irrelevant but technically wrong. Even though they are not material, I feel like I should correct the record. I do not want the court to look at my response as nit picking. What is your advice? Example. Fact 1. The owner of the property is "Jones". Controverting fact: The owner of the property is not "Jones" . The owner of the property is The Jones Family Trust and the only living Trustee is ***** ***** who is 95 years old and does not live in this state.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The case is in Arizona.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/24/2017
Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

A motion for summary judgment is based on the assertion that the undisputed facts require that judgment be entered as a matter of law in favor of the moving party. If any material fact is disputed the motion must be denied. In your example, your answer is proper. Any fact assertion that is not correct, no matter how minor should be challenged to show that it is not correct and what the correct version of the facts is. Your countervailing version of the facts puts the asserted fact in dispute. The court will ultimately determine what is a material fact on the motion so you want to contest all facts not just those you think are material.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.