Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Commercial and residential leases in NY & NJ & US
18695994

I am on ssdi and am 67 y/o who has lived in section 8

Customer Question

I am on ssdi and am 67 y/o who has lived in section 8 housing in nyc for over 17 years. I was in a car accident {head busted into windshield,leg crushed in door and
JA: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?
Customer: I had sergury and am receving thearpy 2 times a week and have some memory loss andbalance loss and just told I was getting money 40.000 dollars I am so scare that i will lose my section 8 and now i am told i have afib {bad heart} I dont want to lose my little sro and am willing to give all the money to the goverment as i am sick and old and i dont know what to do
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Its a in house lease and renewed every two years thats all i know
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is more to illnesses but I want to know if i can come in and talk to a lawyer as i am very scarde and i have no credit card if i have to pay. they sent me a check and the bank cashed it and i still have every penny of it
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

A lump sum award for a personal injury are not included in personal income for purposes of determining your eligibility for section 8 housing. Consequently, taking the payment will not affect you and it will not be income on your tax return. Here is a link that explains that. https://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/promotingfh/11-Fact-Sheet-S-8-English.pdf

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.