How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 46
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've lived in my cottage for over 10 years and my landlord

Customer Question

I've lived in my cottage for over 10 years and my landlord is evicting me to move his Daughter and family into my place. Do I have any right to compensation for uprooting my home?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: San Mateo, California
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: There are no written maintenance requirements. But I have maintained almost all maintenance wit some things that needed fixing that I'm not qualified to do. I'm a painting contractor so any painting, patching etc was done by me. including taking care of the plants, roses etc. I also painted the outside of my cottage and painted the house if front for free.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have less than 2 months to vacate my cottage. Time is of the essence.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 months ago.

Have you done any research into landlord tenant laws in CA? I don't want to tell you what you already know.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions