Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I'm trying to get a lawyer to take my case about breaking

Customer Question
Hi,I'm trying to get a...
Hi,I'm trying to get a lawyer to take my case about breaking our apt lease earlier due to chronic illnesses and Mgmt not providing me with a 1st floor apt since I'm disabled. The apt was located in Poughkeepsie, NY. Also, people were doing drugs at the apt complex and it became dangerous for me as a woman. The apt Mgmt company is not listing this apt on any website and it was vacated over 2 months ago. They just want to keep charging us for the monthly rent, but they are not even showing this apt to anybody.I was informed by a person knowledgeable on this type of issues that it's not illegal for them to charge us rent until they find a new tenant, because landlord don't have to bear the costs of accommodating a tenant under the Fair Housing Act. However, if they're not making any efforts to find a new tenant, it could argue that they've failed to mitigate their damages and therefore aren't entitled to ongoing rent.Since, they're making no efforts to re-rent the apartment, that cuts off our obligation to pay. We can also seek reimbursement of rent for any time the apartment was uninhabitable. They don't get to remodel the apartment at my expense just because I broke the lease.I was advised to get a lawyer that handles FHA & Landlord/Tenant issues.I sent a several letters and call them, but the Mgmt company is just ignoring us.
Is there a sample type of letter that sounds professional and serious enough so that they stop ignoring us. We feel very disrespected by this people. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/10/2017
Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Can you provide a copy of the lease so I can review the terms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi,Thank u for replying. I just moved from NY to NJ. I have to look through my boxes and find the lease. There are a lot of them in storage. The main problem is that we signed a yearly lease starting Oct 2016 and we moved out at the end of that month due to my critical illness and being disabled. Nobody mentioned that we could do a monthly lease, so we got caught in the trap. There's a rental office at the apt complex in NY and the Mgmt company is located in NJ. They don't communicate very well between the 2 offices, so we always got different answers, but at this point, the office in NJ is totally ignoring us. It is taking them 2 months plus to fix the apt, which just needed paint and they don't have the apt listed for rent anywhere. They are not even showing it. So I wanted some kind of letter template to send these shady people and let them know that what they are doing is wrong and that I'm looking for a lawyer. Thank u.

Can you tell me the county where the apartment you were renting was located so I can provide a link for Attorneys in that area that provide FREE consultations that could draft a letter for you on their firm letterhead?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi,The county in NY is Dutchess county. Thank you for your help.

.

.

.

Please accept my apology. Every so often there is a glitch and we think we are answering in one question, however, the response posts to another question.

This is a link for Attorneys in the County that provide FREE consultations http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/landlord-tenant/dutchess-county/new-york

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

Thank you for using JA. We appreciate your business.

I will ask the site to remove the incorrect information. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

I believe I have answered your questions. The Attorneys on the site work with the customers in good faith as the only way we receive credit for our work is if the customer rates us positively. Thank you for your consideration.

Hi, thank u for the information. I called several lawyers on the list u provided me before, but most of them were not interested or were busy. It seems they think this will be a waste of time and effort. I could be wrong. I have to keep going down the list. Still, I need some kind of sample letter or format that I can send this Mgnt company. They just keep ignoring us. I want them to know that I'm consulting wit a FHA/ lender- Tenant on this issue and I will take them to court if necessary. Any idea where can I get a sample letter like that? I need them to know I'm serious and what they are doing is pretty much illegal and unfair. Thank u for ur help.
Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 11 months ago

You are most welcome. The State Bar can also refer Attorneys. I can provide a sample letter as a follow up to this question if you would be kind enough to rate my service positively. Thank you.

This is the link for the New York State Bar http://www.nysba.org/lawyerreferral/

Hi,Yes, as soon as I get the sample letter, I'll rate ur services. Thank u again.

This would be under additional services so you would need to accept the request. Thank you.

How much is it and what's included?

My apologies I did not see your response. I sent you a request that should the amount Did you receive it? I would provide sample letters for you.

If you cannot see the additional service information please contact customer service at and they can assist you. The Attorneys are not able to assist with site related matters.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Attorney2
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney