How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 117361
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an absolutely disgusting case for mental disabiled

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: I have an absolutely disgusting case for mental disabiled tenant. I have EVERYTHING documented with texts, emails, letters. I cannot believe he hides behind his other 16 renters and has so many illegal comments, bullying, harassment, discrimination and breaking real estate landlord law beyond imagination.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: georgia
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Yes, that is one of about 10-15 violations he is up against. I read the Ga landlord tenant book and he broke two of the NUMBER 1 and two things required. Give tenant contact for HOA, himself and a Property Management Co. he told me to ask my neighbors. My security should have been kept in an escrow account and I was to be given detail on that account. Never given. $450 power bills for a small townhouse? Both neighbors never paid over $70. Power Co. came out, full evaluation and if my landlord was licensed in HVAC why would my power co. Say the thermostat doesn't even work that type of system. It drained my limited disability pay that I've missed therapy for months because I can't afford it. And now, he has it for rent knowing this!
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Honestly, this is very detailed and involves different laws by offenses. Civil, state and Federal. Do you have a referral who can handle that plus a huge case of disability harassment by him and both HOA and Property Management. I've done the hard hours of reading, keeping records etc...really I just need
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have researched and discovered these violations, what is your question for us? Have you filed your complaint with the local housing authority or filed suit in court yet?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your response. My question for you is 1. Does what you read seem likely to have the solid cases of harassment, breaches of contract, retaliation....
If so, where should I even begin or is it better to focus on certain things where the laws have been blatantly violated and solid proof.
B. What do you recommend? With all involved, who should I get involved with ASAP?
I don't have representation yet. That is why I was reaching out to you, civil? State, ADA, HUD, real estate? I m not sure how to get things done.
This illegal, cruel and extremely traumatic activity is happening to a severely mentally disabled woman and nobody sees the problem with this?
Should I contact congress?
I look forward to your response.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

1) Is there a case, yes it is for breach of lease at least. Since the landlord warrants the premises is habitable and what you describe is not habitable. Furthermore, it could be abuse of the disabled based on his conduct and the fact he is taking advantage of a disabled adult.

2) So this is a civil suit for breach of contract and abuse of the disabled. Secondly, Adult Protective Services needs to be contacted and a complaint filed with them. Third, contact the local building inspector because it sounds as though there are building code violations that need to be cited and they will come out and cite the landlord for those violations. Congress, the president, the governor or whatever politician do not get involved in these matters, save your time. Go to Adult Protection, the Building Inspector and get the person a local civil attorney from legal aid and let them sue in state court against the landlord.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions