How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney2 Your Own Question
Attorney2, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 6722
Experience:  29 years of experience in Landlord Tenant Law.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Attorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in West Sacramento, Yolo County. I purchased my house

Customer Question

I live in West Sacramento, Yolo County. I purchased my house about five years ago. When I purchased it, there was a rental unit attached that already was occupied by the current tenants. After I had moved into the house the current renters continued as tenants. My house and the tenant's house is connected by the garage.Last year I had air conditioners/heaters installed in my home and in the rental unit by JR Putman. Putman applied for the permits through Yolo County. I didn’t know that they applied as a one-unit property. I recently had to have the water heater replaced (it’s in the garage) in the rental unit by Putman and when they applied for the permit through Yolo County they told the county that it was a two unit place and were denied the permit because my property is listed as a one unit place.I called up the county (I wasn’t aware that the county had my house listed as a one unit property) and wanted to know why it was listed as only a one unit place. I’m afraid I made it worse by insisting that it was a two unit place.The house that I live in is listed as a postal address, PG&E and City of West Sacramento garbage/sewer/water as***** West Sacramento Unit A and my tenant’s postal address and PG& E as***** West Sacramento, Unit B. I pay for their garbage/water/ sewer.As a result of the issue with the county, I looked at my title and it only has my address and no mention of a unit A or unit B.My questions are: what is my legal standing? Is the rental unit legal? Can I be held responsible for renting the unit? If renting the unit is illegal, how could I protect myself and my tenants?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8 Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: California
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, that should do it.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to JA and thank you for question.
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 6 months ago.


Expert:  Attorney2 replied 6 months ago.

Did the seller market the home as two units?

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions