How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 33003
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If i choose not to pay to pay next months rent can the

Customer Question

if i choose not to pay to pay next months rent can the landlord put me out with a child in the state of wisconsin
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: WIsconson
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No my partner decided to leave us and i have to move but i dont have the money to pay rent and move so i was going to live out his deposit
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and my goal is to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

If you do not pay your rent then the landlord is legally allowed to evict you for nonpayment. You will not have immunity from eviction merely because there is a security deposit. Otherwise, no one with a security deposit would ever be evicted.

Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
even if i have a 10 yr old child ?
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

Correct, there is no legal immunity from eviction because a child lives there.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise.

Try talking to the landlord and see if you can get an extension or see if you can borrow the rent from a friend or family member.

Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions