How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 118189
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a home in Georgia and recently my boyfriend and I

Customer Question

I own a home in Georgia and recently my boyfriend and I broke up. We had an agreement that he pay half of the bills and now he is refusing to pay for any of the bills but still living here. It is going on month 2 of him not paying rent to me to live here. His excuse is that he needs money to move out. He tells me that I cannot do anything to make him pay and can't even evict him and I am becoming increasingly frustrated and would like to know what my rights are and what I can do to get him to pay for living in my home and using all the utilities.
Thank you,
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he is living in the house and not paying pursuant to your verbal or written agreement, then you need to hand him a 3 day written notice to pay or be evicted. If he does not pay, then you have to treat him like you would any other tenant and you have to go to court and file suit for eviction against him and serve him the suit and summons and the court will order him to leave or send the sheriff to forcibly evict him.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, if I do all that you mentioned, would I ever be able to collect anything from him as far as back rent and utilities or the court cost I would incur?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes you can still sue for the payment in small claims for the money he owes you.