barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I have a question can a landlord rent a place and give them

Customer Question

I have a question can a landlord rent a place and give them the keys almost moved in and then rent it to someone else?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Las Vegas NV
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: He moved my sister into a trailer with no heat or air, so he was going to evict because she complained then decided to let her move into another place
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so I think at this point is all I know I'm trying to help her she in handicapped on SS and works part time
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If the landlord and tenant agree to enter into a rental contract, either verbal or written, and the landlord gives the tenant the keys, then that is legally giving them possession and the only way the landlord can regain possession is if the tenant voluntarily gives it back or the landlord evicts them for some breach of the lease.

.

So no, he can't give a tenant the keys and then rent the place to someone else or the tenant can sue him for breach of contract for any damages that they have suffered due to his breach.

.

.

thanks