Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am a landlord in a condo building, feel I am being singled

Customer Question

I am a landlord in a condo building, feel I am being singled out because my tenant had an altercation with another tenant whose landlord owns 21/80 units in the building. They are enforcing a 2 pet rule which has never been enforced before and are threatening to fine us $50/day.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Illinois chicago
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: what kind of paperwork?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is the condo board allowed to enforce rules whenever they want and not enforce the same rules with other units?

Thank you for the information.

No. The rules must be uniformly enforced. If the Board is selectively enforcing the rules, you can use that as a defense to any fine levied on you. The Board cannot fine you for your Tenants havng more than the number of required pets when other Tenants are doing exactly the same thing.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if they do enforce a rule against us and not others, do we have a discrimination or harassment lawsuit? Especially because this is being driven by another unit owner.

Yes, you can file lawsuit to ask the Court to stop the Board from harassing you and for declaration that the Board cannot have selective enforcement of the rules.