How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 30384
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Its more of a Landlord tenant question. Will you be able to

Customer Question

Good Morning, Its more of a Landlord tenant question. Will you be able to assist?? I'm in the state of VIRGINIA
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes questions were prepared and I provided a response to the courts. Landlord gave me an option to pay $8000 in 3 weeks or move out of the property by tomorrow. We also have court tommorrow and the consent to order provide I don't agree with. I asked the landlord for more time to pay and they have denied the extension of time... Can I go to court and request that the judge give me cousel???
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There unfortunately isn't any right to have the judge appoint a lawyer for you in a landlord/tenant case. You do have the ability to go to court and ask the judge for more time to allow you to hire a lawyer on your own, but the judge has discretion to deny that request unless you are able to pay the past due rent into the court. It's fairly common for the judge to require a bond so the landlord does not lose rent money due to the delay.

It may help to call VA Legal Aid to see if they can either assist you or point you at another organization that represents tenants in court.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Do you have any questions about my answer?