How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 30379
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a judgement was granted on erroneous information, and has

Customer Question

If a judgement was granted on erroneous information, and has been allowed to stand but not paid for the last nine years. How do I correct the record before I pay the judgement? Is there a way to do this without vacating the judgement?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There are four procedural vehicles that allow a person to dispute a judgment after it is entered.

  • An appeal, which must be filed within 30 days after the judgment is entered.
  • A motion for new trial, which has to be done within 10 days (Rule 59)
  • A motion for Relief from Judgment, which must be filed within 6 months. (Rule 60)
  • A motion to vacate default, which applies only if you were never notified of the case and have a valid defense

By not taking any of the first three actions at the time, I'm afraid you have waived your right to try to get the case reopened now. You could still move to vacate, but only if you meet those two conditions, and you said you didn't want to vacate. The record cannot be corrected without reopening the case through one of the motions I listed.

There are two ways to get relief now, but neither will change the fact of the judgment. One is to let the judgment expire. In Mississippi, the judgment is only good for 7 years unless they renew it. MS Code, Section 15-1-43. If you haven't seen a renewal, you can call the clerk of the court and ask if they did it. The renewal must have been filed BEFORE the judgment expired, or it's invalid. If they did that, then the other option is to see if this particular debt is one that can be discharged in bankruptcy.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?