How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 19477
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Mitchelle lama question, Brooklyn, New York, What kind of

Customer Question

Mitchelle lama question
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Brooklyn, New York
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: What kind of paper work?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am currently a Shareholder/rentiong in a Mitchell Lama coop building. I am in a studio apartment. My mother is currently there with me. I found another apartment, and i would like to leave my mother in the other apartment that in. I dont necessarily want to give my current apartment. I just want my mother to stay there. Hpw can I do that? Is there a legal way to do so?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is it illegal to have more than one apartment in the state of New York. I am residing in my current residence, it is a Mitchelle Lama Coop building. I have found another apartment that I am going to take it. I want to know if by law, I have to give up my current apartment or end the lease?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

You can use family succession rights to leave your mother in the building if your mother has lived with you at the building for two years or had lived with you since you moved in. If your mother is a senior citizen or disabled, she is only required to have lived at the building with you for a year instead of two years. This means that you would transfer the lease to your mother. For more information, contact Homes and Community Renewal, Office of Housing Operations.

Best wishes,