rayanswers
rayanswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a Texas lawyer dealing in landlord tenant
8534270

I own a transitional house where men recently released from

Customer Question

I own a transitional house where men recently released from prison can live for 90 days to have a chance to get on their feet. They get bed space and share common area with other occupants. Rent is $200 per month plus an equal share of the utilities. I have an occupant who stopped paying his rent several months ago, partly because I was trying to help him out when he lost his job. He was showing promise so I agreed to let him stay past the initial 90 days because he was trying so hard. There is no official lease, only an agreement and rule guidelines for living in the house. All occupants are felons and privacy is of the utmost importance. When I started pushing this guy to pay his rent, or at least something toward what he owed, he decided he didn't have to pay at all and I would just have to evict him and make him leave. I've never had a problem like this and it never crossed my mind that I would have to evict someone because it's short term transitional living. After I swallowed the fact that I would have to go through the pain of eviction, he has decided it is his privilege to run his auto dealing business out of the house. I have told him over and over that he cannot run a business from the house. He gets in my face and says until I evict him he can do as he pleases. I understand the law requires that I provide utilities as part of his living arrangement, but I can't imagine I would be required to provide him a way to make a living at my expense from the resources of the house all the while invited others to our location which I try to maintain as privately as possible. If I refuse him use of the utilities for his own personal gain, do I jeopardize my legal position prior to the court eviction hearing? Seems insane to me.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  rayanswers replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Can you tell me what city/state you are in here so I may assist you, thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Louisiana

Send or hand deliver notice to quit.Post it on his door and take picture too.

Here are the forms

http://www.simplifyem.com/forms/louisiana-notice-to-quit

Step by step same all over Louisiana

http://www.ward3marshal.org/images/eviction.pdf

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.