Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

Thank you so much. I am renting a duplex and my lease is up

Customer Question

Thank you so much. I am renting a duplex and my lease is up on January 31st 2017. I put a $900.00 deposit down on the duplex and I am going to make sure the duplex is in the same shape as when I moved in. I have asked the landlord to inspect the property with me on the 31st, but he stated he would only be available on the 25th, this is a full week before I am required to move out. What recourse do I have?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I have kept the duplex perfectly maintained. I am planning on having the carpets professionally cleaned. I have suggested several different times to do the inspection, he refuses them all.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of right now.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you asking if you can compel the landlord to inspect on a different date?

.

Does your written lease state the landlord has to conduct a move out inspection?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have suggested to the Landlord that he reimburse me a pro-rated rate for the week that I won't be in the duplex, on top of the deposit. I have also suggested that he have someone else do the inspection for him, or that he just agree to return the deposit without an inspection. He said he has no obligation to do any of these things.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how much will this consultation cost me?

Let me send this over to customer service for any billing questions as I am just an independent contractor on the site and don't handle any billing questions..

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello, the admins have answered my question about billing.