How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard - Bizlaw Your Own Question
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 10600
Experience:  Commercial and residential leases in NY & NJ & US
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Richard - Bizlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Rental & Debt Collection questions, Ohio, We were the

Customer Question

Rental & Debt Collection questions
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We were the tenants. No evictions. Property Owner has registered false claims to a debt collector
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Property Owner has first stages of dementia. Debt Collector/retired attorney mailed us a bill. Where do we go from here?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Have you informed the attorney who sent you the bill that you do not owe anything? Have you checked with the credit reporting agencies to see if they received a mistaken report from the landlord?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We were told we had 30 days to dispute bill. Bill was sent to husband and I with both our names misspelled. Property Owner and bill collector do not have our social security numbers or apparently the proper spelling of either of our names. So, no that was our question. We just received the bill. Should we send the collector a dispute letter disputing and falsified debt? Should we ask the debt collector for proof? Isn't there a law somewhere stating a business owner cannot send falsified bills to bill collectors for collections?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The property owner has entered the beginning stages of dementia. The bill property owner sent for collections is bogus and untrue. Should we send dispute letter to collector and ask for proof - which both parties will not have. Do we leave it alone because the entire case is bogus and false? Do we let it go to credit collections (if they can) and dispute it at that point? What legal grounds do we have at this juncture?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 months ago.

You should send a dispute letter to the attorney disputing the bill. You should also indicate that if they persist or file a false report with a credit reporting agency you will file suit under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions