Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My two daughters were sharing a 2 bedroom apartment for a

Customer Question

My two daughters were sharing a 2 bedroom apartment for a few years. One daughter recently moved out. They were on a month-to-month contract at the time as their original lease converted to month-to-month after a year. The remaining daughter found a new room mate to move in on January 1, 2017. The landlord is now saying that the new room mate is unqualified because her income does not allow her to meet his new requirement that the tenants make 4 x the rent by herself. The landlord has previously allowed my daughters to show proof of their ability to pay 3 x the rent using their COMBINED incomes. The new room mate is black and would apparently be the only black tenant in the building. What rights do my daughter and the new room mate have?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: California.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Just the usual - - they are responsible for keeping the unit in good condition - - clean, no damages. It's not a condo.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a possible racial discrimination element here?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Is this in fact a new requirement for new tenants that they have to meet this income limit?

.

Is there anything that the landlord said or did that would indicate that the race of the new roommate has anything to do with this?

.

Are you asking if the landlord can impose new income restrictions on new tenants coming into the building?

.

.

thanks