LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

My tenant left without paying the waterbill. She was evicted

Customer Question

My tenant left without paying the waterbill . She was evicted and left a terrible mess. WE are in the burlingotn waterdistrict . Am I liable for her
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Oregon Multnomah county
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades. Please don't confuse excellent service with a satisfactory outcome based on your wants and desires. I can only explain the law to you---not guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome---any more than a cancer surgeon can guarantee a cure.

As the owner of the property, you and your property are liable for any unpaid water bill left unpaid by the tenant. You may certainly sue the tenant for the debt but ultimately, you will have to pay the bill or the water utility will be able to lien your property, and refuse to turn the water back on until the lien is paid.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in the coming New Year,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best this holiday season and in the coming New Year!

Doug