LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

I live in a house that was sold. How can I find out if it is

Customer Question

I live in a house that was sold. How can I find out if it is back with the bank or if it iswith someone I can continue to rent from?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: month to month
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I saw the papers in the mail and went to the court date, but the judge said she could not give me any information The lawyer took down my number but g=have not heard from him yet and its been 30 days
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

To determine who bought the house and who is the present legal owner, you will need to check with the local county land records office and the new deed will identify who owns the property now. If it was bought by an investor, then they may well be willing to rent it out to you.

If the house recently sold, and you are still living in it, you can wait until you are contacted by the new owner or their attorney about needing to move out and you can make your offer to rent at that time. If the lawyer for the other side took your number down, it is possible that the re-sale of the property has not yet taken place if the bank took control of the property following the foreclosure sale. Either way, the present deed on file in the property records office will tell you who the real present owner is. It is possible that no one has filed the new deed yet which means that you still own the property as far as the state is concerned. It can sometimes take a month or several before the new deed is actually filed---even after a foreclosure sale--- and until then, the county and state still deem you to be the owner.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
But i am not the owner, so the judge would not give me any information. Will th deed office give me information? The judge granted them possession in 30days which was last week. I was suppose to hear from someone but noone called.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Im afraid they dont know the landlord dont live there.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

The judge does not provide that information. Ownership is a PUBLIC record and you can get your answer at the county land records office where the deeds are filed. Yes, the deed office MUST give you that information.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you. I will go over there and get back with you.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your kind words. They are very much appreciated. Unfortunately, your gratitude alone is not sufficient for me to be compensated for my having assisted you.

Please understand that in order for me to be credited, and paid, for having helped you, I need for you to positively rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars located on your answer page---preferably 5-stars. It is that easy.

Thanks in advance.

I wish you the best,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug