Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

We recently moved out of our apartment. We had paid a non

Customer Question

We recently moved out of our apartment. We had paid a non refundable pet deposit which we are not looking to have returned. When we moved in we had concerns regarding the carpet as there were some wear etc however we told apartment we wouldnt push the issue about new carpeting as we had dogs. We crated our dogs whenever we were gone.We paid to have our apartment and carpets professionally cleaned upon moveout and we have a signed paper stating "no charges" for moveout for our other deposit. Now apartment is stating they are keeping our full deposit for "pet damage" what can we do
JA: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?
Customer: Az. No
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: we kept apt up nicely and whenever something needed repair we notified maintenance promptly for repair
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we have a foster child and so we had up to 6 case managers and state inspectors etc there a month and everyone would comment on how clean we kept the apartment
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

What damage did they specify was caused by you and your pets that went beyond normal wear and tear?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They stated that there were urine stains on the carpet noted when they pulled it up, which we believe they did as carpet wasn't in great shape when we moved in a year ago. When the move out check by management was done with apartment staff and my husband the air had been off a weekend and there was no odor at that time. The picture they sent had stained areas on the back of the carpet that we did not have visible stains present
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
IF there was any damage which we don't believe occured it seems our pet deposit should cover it and our move out check list clearly states no charges
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they are stating the urine stains were on back of carpet niot the visible side, our pet deposit was $250
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
please answer if you are still there otherwise i will contact company for a refund