Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

Received an email yesterday from landlord stating the

Customer Question

Received an email yesterday from landlord stating the October water bill for my unit was $310. Normally less than $30 a month. I'm a college student, so my utilities are handled a little odd, but suffice to say I pay $100 month for water and electricity. At the end of my lease, I either receive a payment for existing credits or am billed if usage was in excess of the $100 per month paid. I responded that there was no way my water bill could be that high ... I had no leaks and no excessive usage. Landlord responded that maintenance went in and fixed the leak. I never received any other notice about any of this. No note on my door stating they had entered, nothing. Do I have any recourse?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Yes, Texas. San Marcos, Texas.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: My lease even states they may enter but that only "if written notice of the entry is left in a conspicuous place in the apartment immediately after entry." There was nothing and I dispute that there ever was any type of leak. No way.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that suffices. Thank you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Have you asked for a breakdown and/or reading?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, but I will. It's just that's one heck of a lot of water. I'd have noticed something out of the ordinary to that. degree. I will reply and ask for the breakdown/reading. Feel im being scammed by landlord.

I would begin with that. That should establish the error. If LL does not produce it or what he produces does not support his numbers, you need not pay the larger amount. Hopefully that solves it and you dont need to raise the issue in court - something LL will not want exposure to. Kindly rate me 5 stars. Happy holidays.