Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I have some questions about short term rental in new York

Customer Question
states JA: Has anything been filed...
I have some questions about short term rental in new York states
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/17/2016
Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

I am in NY. what may I answer for you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello, i have some questions about short term rental in new York states:
I currently own some apartments in new York city, and some single houses upstate. I was renting them out in short term as vacation home. I know it is now illegal to rent class A apartments in nyc for less than 30 days without the permanent occupants living in there. So i just want to know what can i do in this situation? If i hire property management company to manage for me, will they be able to leagally rent out in short term? If i set up my own Property Management company and rent all my property long term, then use the property management company to rent out short term, is that leagal? Also, is the law different for my apartments in NYC and my single houses upstates? Thanks!

whether you rent on your own or through a manager, the rental has to be at least 30 days. That is the case for apartments in NYC only. You can have shorter vacation rentals for upstate houses, and should consider using a management/brokerage firm to handle receipts, collections and marketing of the units.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are there any apartments or ways to do short term vacation rental in NYC legally if i want to invest in the future?

You can hire a management company with an inventory of clients, corporate and individual, and rent on monthly basis. Shorter term cannot be done in NYC.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am a shareholder of a travel company in China, so I get lots of their clients want to stay in unconventional place other than hotels in NYC, so I am considering investing. what type of properties can satisfy that?

condominium apartments in NYC renting out for 30 day periods are good options, but you should confer with local management firms about possible business opportunities!

Kindly rate my answer 5 stars.

Infolawyer, Attorney