Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I'm currently in a lease until 12/1, which is when it

Customer Question
Hello I'm currently in a...
Hello I'm currently in a lease until 12/1, which is when it terminates. Owner has put the house on the market to sell. She sent me a text on 10/16 stating she was going to put it on the market and that the following week a realtor would stop by to take pictures. Well she never told us we would have to leave. She just told us she would honor our lease and then we would see how things went. So on Fri 11/11 she sends me a text asking if we had found a place to move too. I was shocked. and asked if we were to leave. she stated that since she also has her house on the market and her parents are moving here she needs us out by the end of Nov!! I went home and do checked our lease and found nothing as to her kicking us out. But found that if we wanted to leave before lease was up we would have to give her a 30 day notice. Then Sat 11/12 I received a notice in the mail stating our lease would terminate on 11/30 and we had to move by then. Can she make us leave without a 30 day notice?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/14/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer

The owner must honor the written lease. So long as you are not in breach you are entitled to possession until the lease expires. She can not make you leave before then so long as you are not in breach of the lease.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can she make us leave by the end of the month without a 30 day written notice? She just sent a written notice on 11/12.

If the lease expires then, yes, so does your right to possession. She can not force you to leave herself, but she can file in court on 12/2 to have you evicted.

Once the expires it is over and she has no duty to give notice, unless it has an automatic renewal.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer