Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Commercial and residential leases in NY & NJ & US
18695994

I had a judgement against me today in landlord/tenant court

Customer Question

I had a judgement against me today in landlord/tenant court i was more than willing to make a payment arrangement for the arrears...they wouldn't negotiate...when i rented the apartment i was assigned 2 parking spaces up until today i still haven't received one of the spaces...I know for sure my manager rents out the parking spaces sometimes over night...can i sue them for breach of contract?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: california
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really that should sum it up...
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Did you raise in the court this issue of the parking space?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I thought that would be a civil matter

You could have brought it up and made a claim to reduce the amounts owed. You will have to bring it up in the civil matter as you may have lost your right to raise it in the summary proceeding. What the lack of the parking space gets you is a reduction in the rent. So it will be a offset you can apply against the judgment in the landlord tenant court. However, it is will not be sufficient in likelihood to totally wipe out rent arrears. However, it is a claim you can make for what ever the monthly rent was for the space.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks

You are welcome. Please do not forget to highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for working on your question.