How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LandlordTenantAnswer Your Own Question
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 28040
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
LandlordTenantAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tenant that has missed two rent payments.

Customer Question

I have a tenant that has missed two rent payments. Yesterday, I called the tenant to follow up on her late rent payments.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: The state is Arizona. There is more to the story. Yesterday she told me she lost her job after being away for 12 weeks, does not know when she will be able start payments again, and is "thinking" about applying for Social Security although she is 62.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The tenant claimed to me her doctor gave her a document that says she can not return to work due to a foot injury.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 10 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 10 months ago.

I do understand. She has a legal obligation to pay you rent. The fact that she lost her job and is unable to work, is not a basis to withhold and fail to pay you the rent which you are entitled to, as a result of her occupancy. It is at your discretion to work with her and believe she will get you the rent and any late fees or you can proceed and give her a notice to cure or vacate and then proceed with eviction. I hate to say it but "thinking" about applying for SS and doing it are two different things and it could take time for her to get it, leaving you months without being paid the rent.

Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 10 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!