Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

Can a landlord who stays on the premises rent rooms without

Customer Question

Can a landlord who stays on the premises rent rooms without a license. Broken windows in my room covered with plastic. hOLES IN THE WALL EXPOSED ELECTRICAL WIRES NO HEAT . bOLT LOT TAken off at front door with one lock left . Kitchen has exposed brick from walls being taken down . Back door in kitchen has a gap where air comes in. She told me I n0o longer have to pay rent after I contacted L & I and told her I would be moving soon. She than goes and file an eviction for back rent after I told her I would not pursue L & I for back rent . She lied about the amount I had paid her. I than refilled in L7 I this past week and they stated the property is unfit to live in.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Philadelphia, Pa
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: A verbal lease no terms. I was to pay $100.00 a week. She wanted $450.00 a month but after I looked the whole place over we agreed verbally on $100.00 a week.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just received my court paper from the post office because there was no mail slot for the second floor unit and all mail went to the first floor where she only had the key too. I spoke with the carrier and he agreed to hold my mail because I told him the situation I was having with doing two address changes and two voters registration address changes and the landlord stating that the carriers don't deliver on the block because it is to long
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The city of Philadelphia requires a license for all types of housing rentals. There is no exception for owner-occupied properties. To get a license, landlords must meet minimum health and safety requirements. You can dial 311 or call(###) ###-####to see if your landlord has a license. If she does, you can report the condition of the premises and ask them to come take a look. If she doesn't, you can report her.

When a landlord doesn't have a license to rent a property, they're not legally entitled to rent. The judge cannot and will not order you to pay her any past due amounts. However, it's also illegal for you to be there, so I'm afraid the judge is going to have to give you a deadline for moving out. You may want to start looking for another place to live before the court date.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.