How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 9978
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a former tenant who deliberately left my rental unit

Customer Question

I have a former tenant who deliberately left my rental unit in Sacramento, Ca., in Aug. 2016, and she still owed me about a thousand dollars in rent. She intentionally did not provide a physical address, but she might have a P.O. Box address, however, which the Postal Service won't disclose to anyone.
I have communicated with her several times via text message. Right now, she's playing game, she refused to pay me back ! I still have her rental application,
with her S.S. number, etc. At this point, what can I do to find her present address and serve her Small Claims Court papers ? Please help !!
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  legalgems replied 9 months ago.

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Thank you for your patience;I am very sorry to hear this;The court may allow for service by publication (ie in a newspaper). This requires the landlord (LL) to make a good faith due diligence showing of their efforts to contact the tenant. This typically includes sending a letter to the last known address, contacting known phone numbers, and detailing any contact with the tenant (ie references to the text messages, particularly those requesting new address information). Upon proof of due diligence (here is the declaration form: court may allow the defendant to be served by publication. If the defendant fails to show at the scheduled hearing, the court may enter a default judgment, meaning that the defendant will have an order entered against him/her and this order may include rental damages/rent, attorney fees, court costs, and even the money spent in attempts to locate the defendant. Please see: will walk you through the process along with links to forms: Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️ (no additional charges are incurred). Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.
Expert:  legalgems replied 9 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions