Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

My landlord has told me they are not renewing my leases as

Customer Question

my landlord has told me they are not renewing my leases as of 11/30/16. I have been here 11 years and taken very good care of the unit and always paid my rent on time. I am low income and have my name on several waiting lists but probably won't get a unit until March or April, 2017. What can they do to me, if I stop paying rent so I can pay a SD and moving expenses?
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: what?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Pennsylvania Allegheny County
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Have you spoken to the landlord to see if the landlord would allow a short extension?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
but gave me no answer "yes" or "no". In a way, I am relieved to get out from under this management company's thumb.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can't afford any more money - now, I'm not feeling so secure about your services. Maybe I should contact a lawyer who works with low income senior citizens?
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
It is going to be difficult to stretch out possession to March or April if the landlord wants to evict you. That is why, if you want to stay, it is important you work out something with the landlord and make sure to get it in writing. Otherwise, once the landlord files in court, you will have a month or so until you are forced out.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:
http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspxIt is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.