Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

TJ, well, the saga continues. I went to hand in my key to

Customer Question
Hi TJ,well, the saga continues...
Hi TJ,well, the saga continues. I went to hand in my key to the rental house and submit to the manager a Notice of Termination of Lease Agreement containing the complaints that reasoned why i am terminating the lease. He first refused to sign the notice. I told him that it was just to validate that he received the Notice not that he agreed to it. He said " I am not signing anything'.
So i went forward with handing in the keys to him business manager, she took the keys, and the notice. She started to write a receipt and he called to her saying "that's OK , no need for it" and she put her receipt book away.She then said she was just going to get my mailing address and I pointed out that it was in the Notice. She looked at it and "OK, cool". I turned and started out of the office and then realized that he might deny that I delivered the keys to him so, I went back to the counter ( was back in his office) and asked for a receipt. She called to him and he came out "What can I do for you?".
I told him I would like a receipt. He said he was not going to give me one. I said why not?. He replied "I'm just not going to give you one."
I said, "but I gave you the keys"
He said "you left them here"
I said, "I gave the to **** and she took them"
"I'm not giving you a receipt"
"but you have the keys" I Said.
"You can have them back"
how can you give them back if you didn't receive them?"
Now we're just talking semantics. If you want the keys I will give you the keys but I am not giving you a receipt".
"but I gave you the keys and *** took them", "if I left them they should still be on the counter"
He told me that this was not going anywhere and that I needed to leave or he would call the police on trespass charges.
So I told him I would call the police which I did.
police came out, I told them what happened. They told me it was a civil case and that they could noty do anything. I said it was actually stolen property case. They said they would talk to him.
When they returned they said he told them he had the keys.
So, I got a report wherein he admits he got the keys.
The lease only requires that I deliver the keys to the business address, so that is done.
This guy is going to be a but head.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/1/2016
Lawyer: Wendy, Moderator replied 1 year ago
Wendy
Wendy, Moderator
My name is ***** ***** I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.
If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Best
Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hi again.

That's a crazy story, but at least you have the police report which indicates that he acknowledges receiving the keys.

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer