Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

Im moving out of my rented house my landloard has not

Customer Question
provided a written lease in...
Im moving out of my rented house my landloard has not provided a written lease in 7 months so Im moving, I did not pay this months rent and he says I owe him 2 months rent because I didnt give a 60 day notice. Ive never recieved one late rent charge. But he keeps calling and harassing me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
10/26/2016
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

When there is no written lease, Ohio law requires a tenant to give notice of the intent to move at least 30 days prior to the end of the month. Ohio Rev. Code, Section 5321.17. You are not required to give 60 days notice even if the original lease required it, because that lease expired. If you're giving notice now, you would be obligated to pay rent for November. He can apply any security deposit you gave him to that amount.

Legally, it's not considered harassment to call someone you believe owes you money. But you are free to show the landlord the statute, explain why you're not giving him 60 days rent, and ask that he refrain from contacting you again. You do not have to answer the phone when he calls (and can even download set your phone not to ring or to play a special tone when he calls).

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Attorney