LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
9540344

I signed a 1 year lease for an apartment and because of some

I signed a 1 year lease for an apartment and because of some chemical smells in the apartment I had to vacate the apartment. What can I do to not be held to the lease?

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Do you know what the smell was from? What did the landlord say when you reported this/

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Investigated the smell but could not find the problem.

Thank you for the reply. In a situation like this,the landlord needs to be placed on notice about the issue and given a chance to correct and remedy the rental. The property has to be habitable and if it is not, the landlord has to fix the problem or release you from the lease. If you left, because of this, you can demand compensation for any costs incurred but MUST inform them of this and let them correct it. If they can not, then they need to release you and you will not be liable. In addition, you may want to bring in a 3rd party to investigate the smell and determine what it is, so you have evidence to show and support it is harmful and you can not stay there.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.