How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was hanging a flat screen TV in my condo that I rent. Hit

Customer Question

I was hanging a flat screen TV in my condo that I rent. Hit a high pressure sprinkler line that was in a living room wall. There was no markings on the wall warning that sprinkler line ran between the studs and no plating protecting the lines. The utility shutoffs were locked and in accessible to even the fire department. Water ran out for an hour before the fire department determined to break down the door. Association maintenance was called immediately and did not show up for hours. My condo is barely suitable to live in and two units below me were also damaged. Insurance companies are fighting over liability and no effort has been made to repair. Please give me an idea on how to proceed this has been going on for 6 weeks.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

One thing that you may want to do is send your insurance company a letter asking them to advance the money so that you can start repairs. Read the terms of your policy since it is unlikely that your insurance company has to wait to assign liability before affording you coverage. If they do not pay promptly, then you may need to retain an insurance bad faith lawyer to sue or threaten to sue them for the delay. Also, you can opt to make the repairs yourself and seek reimbursement from one or both insurers later. If you take this route, be sure to inform both insurers in writing that this is what you plan to do if they do not repair the issues in X number of business days.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions