LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
9540344

We are in Michigan and are not renewing the lease. She needs

Customer Question

We are in Michigan and are not renewing the lease. She needs to be out on Nov. 15th 2016 at midnight. We sent certified mail the Notice of Non Renewal of Lease. She is not picking up the letter. What is our next step?
Thank You
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 9 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

At this point, you want to go to the rental and have a 3rd party try and hand deliver the notice to her, as well as post it on her door and send it regular mail. This way, if she claims she never received it and tries to hold over, you have a defense to show she acted in bad faith and avoided signing for the certified letter and that you took other steps to place her on notice. You can also take a photo of the notice posted on the door, to show and support it was done. This way, you show you made numerous good faith efforts to place her on notice.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.