How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerDavid Your Own Question
LawyerDavid, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 376
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
LawyerDavid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother, his sister, and his infant son, moved into my

Customer Question

My brother, his sister, and his infant son, moved into my home in May of this year. I was not anticipating the "sister" moving in but accommodated her. She pays no rent, has no lease with me, and is often very nasty to me. I want her out of my house but she keeps threatening that she doesn't have to go anywhere because she "receives mail at my house". (which is true, but she also receives mail in about 3 other places as well). I feel like I'm a hostage in my house. What are the laws on this in North Carolina? Am I really this hamstringed?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No, there is no lease.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawyerDavid replied 1 year ago.

I am really sorry you are having to deal with such a difficult situatuon. There is no law that says a person is entitled to stay in a residence because they are getting mail there. If you have asked her to leave and she will not leave, she is trespassing. I would tell her to get out and stay out right now. If she will not leave call the police and have her removed and cited for trespassing. If she threatens you in any way file a pokice report and if it gets bad enough seek a protective order. I hope this helps you! All the best, david