How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 30384
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What if you have some one living with you and some one else

Customer Question

What if you have some one living with you and some one else has there money and they will not pay there right amount of portion what do I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Is the person living with you named on the lease? If not, did you have an agreement that they would pay rent before they moved in? Also, what state are you in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are on my lease but the person handling her money will pay. Me what's owed
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You unfortunately cannot evict your roommate in this scenario, but you don't have to agree to accept money from a third party. You can sue your roommate for the money you're owed. If the third party signed a document agreeing to pay you on your roommate's behalf, then it's also possible to sue them. However, any time someone agrees to pay someone else's debt, it's only enforceable if the promise is in a signed writing.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?