Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I live in a mobile home park. The manager says that an owner

Customer Question
I live in a mobile...
I live in a mobile home park. The manager says that an owner cannot rent out a room. I was thinking about this. If I, the owner gave a portion of ownership to each person that was renting a room, can the manager say that is unacceptable legally? And if I cannot give away part of ownership, then could I charge the renter a sum of money to correct this situation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I moved in, after purchasing the mobile home, there was a requirement that one had to have someone 55 years of age or older. Since then the rules were changed when the two story mobile homes were put in a while back.
10/8/2016
Lawyer: AttyHeather, Attorney replied 1 year ago
AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Attorney

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

This is an interesting situation. The answer would depend on the manager's basis for not allowing you to rent the room. Is that coming from a contract you have signed with him or covenants that are recorded against the property, and what do the provisions state exactly?

You would have to read those to be able to determine the answer.

But one creative way to do this would be to sell the mobile home to a business entity that you set up with the state. Then you could sell "shares" (read: rooms) of the business to people that you want to "rent" to and the bylaws of the business would have to talk about owners of shares have to pay a certain amount into the business. It's a creative solution, for sure.

AttyHeather
AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Attorney