How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask insearchoftheanswer Your Own Question
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 55312
Experience:  Lawyer; developer/owner of RE developments.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
insearchoftheanswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently moved out of a house i was renting in southern

Customer Question

i recently moved out of a house i was renting in southern california for 3 1/2 years. My old landlord would hit us up for receipts in the first few months of the following year for receipts for certain months saying they did not show payments, when we would come up with receipts, she would then ask for some more. and she would just show up at the house and want these receipts then. When we moved out we did a walk threw with her, she was satisfied. She is now saying we owe back rent. she has 3400.00 deposit and is saying i owe her 2900.00 on top of the deposit. Can you help
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 9 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 9 months ago.

Hi Kelley. What you want to do here is to file suit against the landlord. You can file this in small claims court without engaging an attorney. Under the California statute, if the tenant and landlord cannot reach an agreement on the amount of the security deposit returned, the tenant can file a lawsuit against the landlord for return of the security deposit and ask for: i) the amount of the deposit, plus ii) Twice the amount of the security deposit in damages. The judge may give the tenant these additional damages if the landlord retained the deposit in bad faith. Here, your landlord is clearly acting in bad faith. Here's a link to help you with a small claims court case:

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions