How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 46
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved to NC and I'm renting my home in Omaha. I had a

Customer Question

I moved to NC and I'm renting my home in Omaha. I had a tenant in my in law suite and I told the tenant that the new renters need the entire house. I gave here 45 days notice but she is refusing to leave ?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Omaha NE
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No Lease. just month to month
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

I understand your situation. Are you asking what your next steps as far as eviction goes are?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well I'm in NC now so I just want her out. I gave her notice so I don't know what to do at this point
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 11 months ago.

Right, but the property is in Nebraska, correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 11 months ago.

OK. So, you'd have to follow the Nebraska eviction process.
Since you've already given notice of your intent to evict her, your next step is to file a petition for removal in the court where the property is located.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I understand
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 11 months ago.

This will be done in district court. Once you file that with the court, you will have to serve a copy of the petition on the tenant.