How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have moved into a new apartment about two months ago and

Customer Question

I have moved into a new apartment about two months ago and have had many serious issues and have addressed them to my manager nothing has been done my refrigerator is leaking from the bottom my air conditioning is not working properly the light fixture on my outdoor hallway entrance has never been replaced and I have no light at night there are leaks in my bathroom and somewhere in my living room because it is soaking my Carpeting and it smells like mold in my house now. And I need an exterminator which they have not provided. I am an older lady with many health issues and they just don't seem to care about any of this and I continue to pay my rent on time what can I do to get these things remedied please help me
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 11 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 11 months ago.

One moment as I type your response...

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 11 months ago.

Many of these things are something the landlord should do to keep up to building codes, and other things he should probably do most likely pursuant to the terms of your lease contract (although I have not read it and can only assume it includes standard provisions). If there are items that affect your health and safety, you can report the noncompliance with the building code government office. If there are things that they won't help you with, you need to ask your landlord to do the maintenance and repairs in writing. You should also note to him in writing that these problems are causing the apartment to be unhabitable and if he does not fix them, you will consider yourself "constructively evicted" and you will have to move. If this happens, he cannot sue you if you are breaking the lease by moving.

Does that help?