How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jb156200 Your Own Question
jb156200, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 275
Experience:  I am a licensed practicing attorney in Tampa, Florida.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
jb156200 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is a student in Baltimore and had rented an

Customer Question

My daughter is a student in Baltimore and had rented an apartment with a person who works at the university where she goes to school. After 3 months into the lease, the other person moved out and is making arrangements to shut the utilities off that were in her name. They had a verbal agreement to split the utilities but now my daughter is having to get them turned on in in her name and pay for all of the utilities. She is a graduate student and this will be a hardship on her budget. Does she have any recourse in this matter?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  jb156200 replied 10 months ago.

Good Afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. Please give me a moment as I answer your question.

Expert:  jb156200 replied 10 months ago.

Without a written agreement the utilities are the responsibility of the tenant living in the unit. You may,= look at the rental agreement and see what the landlord listed as the terms for the utilities. There are cases where one tenant terminates their lease agreement early and is still responsible for utilities.

Since your daughter is remaining in the unit, her lease agreement will state it is her responsibility to maintain the utilities during the duration of the lease.

Her recourse would be to file a claim in small claims court. If she has copies of bank statements or cancelled checks from the roommate she may be able to prove 50% responsibility and collect a fee for the early termination.

Expert:  jb156200 replied 10 months ago.

Do you need any clarification of the information provided? Please do not forget to rate my answer. If you have an additional question please let me know.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions