Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

My landlord will not come fix anything broken in the unit I

Customer Question

My landlord will not come fix anything broken in the unit I am renting. He wants 866 dollars a month but will not fix the cricket problem,the washer,the plumbing, the leaky faucet in the back yard,the dishwasher, or the mold under neath the kitchen sink. And when I wrote him he says give me two weeks and never shows up,also I have been late on rent a few times but always paid him...then every few months he says he's selling the unit and we need to move and when he received the rent all of a sudden he is no longer selling it. Is what he is doing illegal? I feel for that amount of money every month me and my children should have the amenities that we deserve also the mold concerns me he has seen it before and says its not a big problem...I think it is...your thoughts?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

What state do you live in? Also, do you have a lease for a set term or is it month to month?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We had a lease that ended last October we have been going month to month since then also I live in Az

Thank you.

In that case, yes, he could ask you to move at any time on 30 days notice, including if he were selling the property. It's not illegal to tell you that he's going to sell, then not do it, although I can see why that would be frustrating. The only way to protect yourself would be to sign another lease for a set term. If the landlord happened to sell the property while you had a lease, the lease just transfers to the new owner. It doesn't terminate.

I'm going to get the statutes on the warranty of habitability for you and will be back in a few minutes.