Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

My wife and I signed a rental lease and gave a 1600.00

Customer Question
deposit. The lease called for...
My wife and I signed a rental lease and gave a 1600.00 deposit. The lease called for numerous repairs to be dome to the property before we moved in. The move was scheduled for 9/15/16. After we tendered the security deposit the landlord (which he took to my bank to turn into cash) and then shortly left for his home in Henderson, NV.None of the items listed to be done were subsequently never done. We subsequently advised him by telephone, text and email advising him initially of our concerns and utimately telling him we were not going to move into his property and making a demand for our deposit refund.
i
He asked that the check be made directly to him even though the lease was negotiated with his LLC. which is not a Missouri listed LLC
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2016
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

So you never moved in and took possession?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No we never moved in. He did give us a key so we could get n to clean and prepare.

Thank you. If you never moved in and took possession, as a result of the landlord failure to make the agreed upon repairs, then the landlord would be required to return any money paid, since they breached the agreement. A condition to you moving in, was that the repairs needed to be done and if they failed to do so, would be in breach, as this was a condition precedent, to the lease taking effect. You never moved in and took possession, so the landlord needs to be advised of the same and the key needs to be return and a written demand needs to be made, for the money. The only other option would be to get the landlord to agree to allow you to make the repairs and deduct it from the rent, if you desire.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney