Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I believe that my condominium board in Fort, NJ, did not

Hello, I believe that my...
Hello, I believe that my condominium board in Fort Lee, NJ, did not accept me to serve on the board due to the fact that I am not asian. The condominium board members elected another asian board member. Is there a law for discrimination or diversity that applies here? how can the neighbors change the current system and elect their board members instead of the board members electing board members?
9/28/2016
philip.simmons

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

It is a violation of federal law to discriminate based on race...so if you believe that this was the case for you (that the board discriminated against you based on your race) you could file suit against the board and ask the court order you be placed on the board

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Philip, It would be hard to prove, because the board members will not admit for discrimination. However how can the neighbors change the current system (probably the bylaw) to elect their board members instead of the board members electing board members?

You are correct...you will need to change the bylaws. The bylaws will have language within them that discusses how to do this. Typically it requires a vote by the entire association to accomplish...check your bylaws to see what is needed to make the change and you can begin the process

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

philip.simmons
philip.simmons
philip.simmons
philip.simmons, Lawyer