Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I vacated my apartment before the end of the lease, but I

Customer Question

I vacated my apartment before the end of the lease, but I continued to pay my rent on time. When I vacated the apartment I turned in my keys and discontinued utilities.I turned all of the breakers off when I turned in the keys but they want me to pay for electricity through the end of my lease.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I am here to help you with your question. We may discuss the issues too. Let me know that sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok

Are you saying that there are a few more months on your lease, you vacated with the landlord's consent and now the landlord wants you to pay for the utilities until the lease term when the apartment is empty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My lease began 8/3/15. It expired 8/2/16. I gave notice on 5/5/16 to vacate 6/2/16. I left and turned in keys on 6/2/16. I continued to pay rent through the end of my lease. On 6/2/16, I turned off all of the breakers- per the move out instructions I had from the management. They deducted $62.30 from my deposit, refunded the remaining portion of the security deposit and then sent me a bill for $28.28.

So you want your $62.30 back and do not want to pay the $28.28. Is that correct? Not sure why if you turned off the breakers, there was still a utility bill for the unit.