How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 9905
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in a two bedroom in san francisco that is under rent

Customer Question

i live in a two bedroom in san francisco that is under rent control i would like to move my girlfriend in to the apartment and i am wondering if the landlord can deny me.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: california
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: up till last year they never come in i did all maintenance my self but last week they put a camera out side my apt and i can tell they are trying to find a way to evict me i have lived in the building for over ten years they hired a new property manger that i can tell is trying to out the tenants
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats it
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  legalgems replied 10 months ago.

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your patience as I reviewed this;

So here is the relevant website that discusses these specifics- but basically, if the lease does not address the issue, the tenant may have a roommate; many leases require the Landlord's consent. If so, this must be complied with (and having it written is best so it cannot later be denied) or the LL can evict based on breach of the agreement (ie failure to obtain consent).

If the tenant has had a roommate in the past, generally the courts will allow the tenant to replace that subtenant, and the LL cannot unreasonably withhold consent in that situation.

Here is the ordinance that governs consent:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 10 months ago.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!