Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I live in Portland, Oregon and I am a tenant who has a

Customer Question
Hello: I live in Portland...
Hello: I live in Portland, Oregon and I am a tenant who has a month-to-month rental agreement that we revised because the duplex is on the market. The tenants haven't completely paid their first months rent because two of the checks were returned. Also, they are now 7 days overdue for this month's rent. They are now claiming we were in breach of agreement (which I have many texts and emails showing her approval of letting in two repair guys and two realtors for showings and two Open Houses in which she changed her mind at the last minute and said we couldn't show their side).
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oregon
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: She claims her lawyer in on the case and they are serving me with a 10-day notice of termination, but they haven't paid anything and in Oregon it's 30-day notice anyway.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to know what I can do to get them out of my home. I live on the other side and I don't want these con-artists sharing a wall with me, especially now that they have only paid a small portion of what they owe me in total. They are also making outrageous claims that my husband threatened her. She is 6 feet tall, and was standing on the top stair and my husband is 5'6". He also simply told her to handle it with a cashiers check because none of their checks went through and when she tried to shake his hand (she's broken many of her handshake promises) he refused to shake her hand. We just want her to keep her word and pay the rent.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2016
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Just to be clear, they owe you rent?

Thank you. Allow me a moment please

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They actually owe us $300 more from last month, but I can let that go (they paid us in cash because their checks weren't getting through (Refer to Maker). And they haven't paid a dime of this month's rent.

If you want them out, you do not have to let anything go. The bot***** *****ne is that if they reside there, they owe you the rent and if they fail to pay, you can give them the proper notice to cure and if they fail to do so, start the eviction process to get them out. I have provided a link below to the Oregon statute which controls, so you can review it so you are on notice as to what must be done. http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/90.394

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer