Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

I recently purchased a duplex and inherited the tenants in

Customer Question

I recently purchased a duplex and inherited the tenants in one of the units. Their 6 month lease agreement has expired, so they are now month to month per a clause in the original lease agreement. The tenants are wanting to sign a year lease. My question is, the first lease agreement commenced on the 15th of the month, but they pay their rent on the 1st of the month, as set up under the first lease agreement.
Option 1: Should I have the new lease begin on the 15th, which would make rent due on the 15th of the month- correct? They have already paid their rent in full for the month.
Option 2: I have still continue to receive rent payments on the 1st of the month and date the lease starting today- the 15th?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can have their tenancy run from the 15th or the 1st. It makes no difference as long as duly credit rent received.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Normally leases begin the 1st, so you can apply the rents as of the 1st and makes it easier for record keeping without it carrying over from month to month or december into january.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly rate me 5 stars.

If I can clarify anything, let me know

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

thanks in advance.