How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 29996
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a section 8 lease for my tenant assuming they were

Customer Question

I signed a section 8 lease for my tenant assuming they were ok with it. Now they are mad and making demands. They have not paid anything , have not moved in and the section 8 inspection has not even been scheduled yet.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How can I get out of the lease
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble.

When does the lease say they're supposed to move in? What, if anything, does it require them to pay before they move in? What types of demands are they making?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was curious about signing her name on the lease . She was not at the section 8 meeting because she's moving from out of town. And she wanted me to sign some other paperwork so I assumed she was ok with it but now she's day it's ok but what if in the future she denies signing
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for clarifying. I didn't realize you meant that you put her name on the paperwork. If she had told you to do it, that would be OK and it would be valid. Since she didn't, the lease isn't valid - but it's her privilege to cancel. You don't have the ability to cancel the lease based on your wrongful act of signing the tenant's name without consent. When a person goes to court, they have to walk in with clean hands. If you refused to let her move in, and she sued, the judge would have to rule against you.

What that means is, you and the tenant can work out something where you both agree to cancel, but you'd both have to sign it and it should include a waiver of any right to sue. You can't cancel unilaterally without the tenant's consent.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Good luck.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions