Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I live in an apartment building with 4 units. I have bed

Customer Question
I live in an apartment...
I live in an apartment building with 4 units. I have bed bugs which I told my landlord about 2 months ago. He wants me to pay for treatment and I have to move furniture and things I am not physically able to move. He said if I do not move the furniture and pay for the bed bug treatment he is going to evict me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/12/2016
Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Other replied 1 year ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me as I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience

Can you tell me which state you are in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A side note... I was the first person to report the bedbugs they are now in at least one other apartment so he is blaming me for all of it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ohio

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Under Ohio Law you are entitled to a rental unit that is safe and healthy to live in. It is the Landlord's responsibility to maintain the property so that it is safe for you to live in. He may not evict you for an infestation unless you caused the infestation. It is rare for a tenant to cause bedbugs to appear, and the landlord should be treating the unit.

If the landlord refuses to treat the unit you can hire someone to do it yourself and WITH HOLD from your rent payment the costs of making the repair. Before you do this you must provide WRITTEN notice to the landlord.

Also you and the other tenants may work together to approach the landlord.

In any event the first stept is to write a letter to the landlord stating that you have reviewed Ohio Landlord Tenant Laws and that he may not evict you for this and that he is responsible. Further that you will with hold the rent and pay for the treatment yourself if he does not take care of this by use of a licensed exterminator.

Here is a link to the law and to other information that may help you:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/5321

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ohio-tenant-rights-withhold-rent.html

https://www.ohiobar.org/forpublic/resources/lawfactspamphlets/pages/lawfactspamphlet-11.aspx

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the landlord has an attorney and says he is going thru with the eviction if this is not handled by us. He feels this was caused by us. So I guess this is the primary issue. Will he have to prove we caused it? How hard will that be? Do i need to hire a local attorney to fight this? I am on limited income and legal aid will not help. But the treatments will cost $500. Will that money be better spent hiring an attorney?

Hello:

Bed bugs are pretty noxious and they can come from a number of sources. A thorough treatment of the property is required. It is very difficult to prove that you caused the infestation and YES they have to prove that.

Landlord tenant disputes are handled by the local magistrate and an attorney is NOT necessary. You can represent yourself in the Magisterial Court and that is usually the case.

I know that you contacted legal aid, call them again and ask if they can refer you to a pro bono attorney. (Pro Bono means that they take the case at no charge). This organization may be able to help you as well:

http://www.olaf.org/

I hope this additional information is helpful to you.

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Other