Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I HAVE A TENANT HAS BEEN LATE EVERY MONTH, HE HAS BROKEN UP

Customer Question
PROPERTY, HE HAS BAD MOUTHED...
I HAVE A TENANT HAS BEEN LATE EVERY MONTH, HE HAS BROKEN UP PROPERTY, HE HAS BAD MOUTHED THE LANDLORD, AND HAS RAN UP THE UTILITIES ON PURPOSE. EVEN RENTED PORNO VIDEOS WHEN I PAY FOR THE CABLE AND WON'T PAY FOR THEM. DO I STILL HAVE TO DO THE 30 NOTICE, OR CAN I GET HIM OUT SOONER?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/8/2016
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Is the tenant damaging the rental property?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
HE HAS TORN UP MY FRONT YARD OUTSIDE THE FENCE WITH HIS TRUCK LEAVING RUTTS THAT I HAD TO PAY SOMEONE TO FIX, BENT UP A SCREEN TO HIS ROOM WHEN CLIMBING IN HIS BACK WINDOW WHICH HE BROKE UP MY POOL PUMP CLIMBING ON IT TO GET IN HIS ROOM BECAUSE HE LOCKED HIMSELF OUT.

Thank you. In a situation like this, where he is damaging the property and putting it at risk, you could provide him with a 14 day notice to vacate. His actions place himself and the property in danger and if he is doing harm, he needs to vacate as soon as possible. Now, if his rent is late and past due, a 3 day notice can be given to cure or vacate and if he does not pay in that time, then the eviction process can start sooner. A basic lease violation would require a 30 day notice. However, a 3 day notice could be used, which is the fastest way, if he has not paid rent and even if h does cure, a 14 day notice, for damage to the rental. Here is also a link to a handout, that has information for you to use.

http://www.mdlab.org/wp-content/uploads/MLA-TenantRightsEvictions.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
MY WIFE IS IN CHARGE OF THE RENTING. SHE IS 75 YEARS OLD AND TRIES TO HELP OUT. HE HAS TALKED TRASH ON HER, CALLED HER NAMES TO TH OTHER TENANTS BCAUSE THEY CAME OVER AND TOLD HER WHAT HE SAIS.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
HAS SAID, SORRY

That could be a basis for a 30 day notice but may not rise to the level of a 14 day notice. The destruction of the property and the unpaid rent, is where you would want to focus, to get him out sooner.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I ASKED FOR A PHONE CALL. WHAT MORE DO I NEED?

I tried calling you but the site advised that there was an issue with payment. It said customer service would be contacting you and once they do, I am happy to reach out to you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
SENT ALL PAYMENT INFO IN. DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE THEY WANT? THIS IS COSTING ME MONEY TO GET THE BUMB OUT.

Yes, and the fees and costs associated with the eviction, is something that you can recover from him, as a result of his failure to vacate.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney